Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Because I was white...

So this is something I haven't told many about. I'm not embarrassed by it but it's just something that I don't talk about. I don't remember a whole lot about it...other than the initial hit and waking up in the hospital.

I had been in the fleet for maybe two weeks and I still didn't have a bed to sleep in. I was sleeping in a sleeping bag on a iso-mat and living out of my sea bag. Since I was the ripe old age of 18 I didn't have a lot of people to hang out with. Everyone was older and out having a good saturday. I was just kind of doing whatever I could do.

A Marine came back to the barracks from spending some time at the brig for whatever reason (I found out later he had beat his wife pretty bad). He was a large guy... borderline giant. I was showering after hitting the gym. He was sleeping on the rack when I came out of the bathroom. I noticed he had a dream catcher tattoo and a NP (native pride) tattoo on massive shoulder. He woke up and looked at me. Nothing came of it so I continued on with my business. I stepped outside to talk to my girlfriend on the phone which I did for about two hours. After I told her goodnight I went inside and rolled out my bed. V (big dude) asked me why I was doing that. I answered his question with respect. I offered up a question, "What is NP?" He looked at me like I was an idiot. He answered with, "native pride...stupid white boy." I didn't say anything. He then went on about how I was so stupid to be here. Again I didn't say anything. He went on about how the white man made his people live on reservations and how they raped the women and what not. I must have gave him a look. I started to tell him that my family didn't do anything to his POW!!! Thundering fist right to the mouth. I fell and he picked me up with one arm and threw me...thats where I went out.


I woke up in the hospital with my platoon commander and platoon sergeant standing over me. I had broken ribs, splt lips, a black eye, bruised scull, and questions concerning if there was actual penetration. Penetration? That was the first thing I said. The medical guy said when I came in my belt had been cut and my pants were down. I didn't feel any pain...but the thought was still there. Had he? To be honest my body was nothing but painful. Not one spot was free from pain, my hair hurt. Well the questions began and they tried to piece together what had happened. I didn't have any alcohol in my system, no drugs, I didn't owe anyone money. Why did this happen? They didn't believe me when I said all I did was roll my sleeping bag out.

Well when the Company Commander got the paperwork back from the NCIS folk he showed me what V had said. When asked why he did this he simply replied... "Because he is white."

No comments:

Post a Comment